Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mirepoix

I am sure most of you know what one is, but think why bother I will just add some celery and onion to the soup and it will taste just fine. I am here to say your missing out on a whole lot of flavor and a tradition from all over the world for centuries. It couldn't be easier to add this depth of flavor your taste buds will love you for. the ratio is simple two parts onion to one part celery and carrot.
It is traditionally cooked in butter, but I prefer olive oil. Heat a few tablespoons over medium low in your pan and add the veggies and saute until onion is translucent and your done. Just a little extra step for so much extra flavor.
Today I am making bean soup so I tossed some crumbled bacon into the pan and then added it to the soup.  You can customize your flavors very easily this way, don' t be afraid to experiment!

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment